Thursday, February 25, 2016

Where You Been, Bro?

Well, I didn't blog at all last week. Not here. Not on the Meadery. No writing whatsoever. Life happens sometimes.

So I guess it's time for some life updates, right? Let's start with my dear passion: gaming. When last I wrote I was I the midst of preparing for 2 competitive Magic: the Gathering tournaments. I bet you've been waiting excitedly to hear all about that, you random person who both reads my blog and cares about Magic. Remember my New Year's resolution to Top 8 a competitive Magic event? That's what this is all about.

Last Wednesday night was the first of the two GPTs I was planning to attend. I went to The Complex out in Scarborough, a new gaming store for me, and felt fairly confident. 12 people showed up for the event which meant that though we would play 5 rounds there would be a cut to the top 4, not the top 8. I dominated in the first two rounds, securing relatively easy victories. Once I hit the third round I got paired against the strategy I knew going in was the biggest struggle for me (Jeskai Black for those in the know). My opponent was a friend of mine and I knew that winning wouldn't come easy. It turned out winning didn't come at all. I picked up another loss in the 4th round against another friend. At this point it was about 10pm and I was feeling pretty. Several of the less successful players had left already and I considered leaving too. But then I realized if I won my next match, and the correct people lost their matches, I would be in 4th and make the cut to Top 4. I played it out. I won. I got 5th place, just shy of the final cut. I was still proud to have done that well, but bummed to have not met my goal. While I was technically within the top 8 players, my New Year's Resolution is to survive the cut to the top. I just barely fell short.

This past Saturday I had another chance. Another GPT was scheduled. I was excited to finally meet my goal. Almost no one showed up and the event was cancelled. Boo, so much for goals.

What non-gaming news is there, you ask? Well, not much. Work is still stressful. Still shorthanded due to multiple people being out for surgeries, which makes those who are left bitter and fight-y. I have some other stuff stressing me out too, but I'd rather not blog about it. To be honest I'm just feeling exceptionally stressed and a little upset right now, but I wanted to write anyway.

So, that's where things stand. Once again I'm writing a "Tuesday" post on a Wednesday night in bed. If you enjoy these posts, keep reading. If you hate them, yell at me about it and destroy my remaining self-esteem. If you're ambivalent, well, we're like-minded. Let's be friends. Good night.

No comments: