Monday, February 25, 2008

Thank God Estonia is FREE!!! NB This post refers to yesterday.


Today is Estonian independence day! I just got back from watching “Laulev Revolutsioon” (“The Singing Revolution”) at Sõprus Kinno (Friendship Theater) and it was the first time I cried during a movie since Zabuza died in Naruto! I’ve always loved Estonia. And I’ve always known this is the most amazing country I have ever set foot in. But seeing this movie. Watching this history. I’m at a loss for words. I love Estonia. I had planned to write some big, patriotic, loving post. But I truly have nothing more that I can say other than “Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja room! Kui kaunis oled sa!” I don’t know what I’ll do when I leave Estonia. But I do know that today, on the 90th anniversary of Estonia’s independence (not counting the long and very illegal occupation by the Soviet Union, which took up most of the last 90 years, that’s why we have 2 independence days!) I love Estonia with all my heart, with all my mind, and all my soul. I have never felt even the tiniest bit of patriotism for America, my official, “homeland” but I love Estonia. It’s the only country, the only place on Earth that has ever made me feel the slightest bit patriotic. And it’s made me feel a lot more patriotic than the slightest bit. I honestly have no more words. I love the land that has on it’s flag blue for the sky, black for the earth, and white for the snow. We don’t need the red blood of the American or Russian flags. We love peace. And I love Estonia.

“Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja room”

1 comment:

Erica said...

Hei Chris,

Good to know that you love my home country so much. I love Estonia too, it's small, not too fancy but still everything :D.

God bless

xoxo


P.S. Maybe you shouldn't leave Estonian....