Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Married!

Photo Credit: Jodi Renshaw--Studio 36
June 9th, 2012 (like two weeks ago) I got married to Jenny, my lady of four years. Man, I am happy. In May I graduated from college, and now I am moving onward and upward with my wife. Man, if that doesn't feel weird--calling her wife--I don't know what does.

Well, now that I am married and graduated I (once again) feel that I should take up blogging again. I graduated with majors in psychology and writing and I can't really practice psychology right now but at least I can write. Remember the days when I would publish a post, or more, a day? Remember when my blog was a unashamed and uncensored stream of consciousness mess? No one does. That was four years ago. Before college.

Well, I'm hoping to recapture the raw joy of writing that I had before college. I learned a lot in my writing major, including that people are actually reading this and that many of them are thinking I look quite stupid. Basically I became a much better but much more fearful writer. But the only way to get back into my groove from four years ago is to just do it. So here I go.

Jenny and I are super lucky. We are, without a doubt, having the best honeymoon it is possible to have. I say 'having' because our honeymoon is still going on. Why? Well, because our honeymoon is a month and a half long. I know, I know. That sounds too good to be true, right? But it's not! Jenny and I spent the first week of our honeymoon in Searsport, Maine and loved it.

The 'Sea Breeze Cottage' in Searsport
Our first two nights were spent at the Carriage House Inn which was a lovely bed and breakfast just perfect for lounging around and going for walks by the beach. Also, the Carriage House Inn is well documented as being haunted (See pictures 6-8)! Supposedly there's at least two spirits there, but we didn't notice anything. The innkeeper was very nice though and we enjoyed our conversations with her during breakfast.

After leaving the Inn we spent the rest of the week in the Sea Breeze Cottage, a privately owned cottage that, due to early June technically still being off season in Maine, was both gorgeous and affordable. Pictured on the right is Jenny walking up to our cottage. As I took the picture I was standing on the steps leading to our very own private beach! We had everything we could ever want! The cottage was beautiful and located close to downtown Searsport. We could walk to the grocery store and restaurants downtown and enjoy exploring the small, but interesting town.

Jenny was excited to eat the meal I cooked for her!

Speaking of walking to the grocery store, one of the nicest things about having our own private cottage was being able to cook food for each other. Both Jenny and I enjoy cooking and are pretty good at it. We cooked all sorts of tasty food while we relaxed and enjoyed the cottage.

One of the most exciting things we did during our honeymoon in Searsport was rent a couple of kayaks and kayak four miles out to Sears Island. We landed next to a jetty where we ate our lunch before walking inland for a while. At this point I need to pause and point out one of the many reasons why I married Jenny: while we walked inland we discussed time travel in depth and argued several different theories of time travel. It was invigorating and awesome. Yeah, I kind of like my wife.

Jenny standing on the jetty on Sears Island
Jenny and I really enjoy kayaking and, though eight miles was a lot (four there, four back) we really enjoyed ourselves. I had only been kayaking once before, and that was on a lake, not the ocean. The waves made things more exciting, by which I mean I was freaking out for the first couple minutes thinking Jenny and I were going to die. Once I got into it I really started enjoying myself, though. I have always loved riding my bike, and kayaking is like biking on water. It's fast, it's fun. Man, I want a kayak.

Anyway, I never did explain how Jenny and I are having a month long honeymoon. I am writing this from my new man cave/laundry room where I set up my computer in Fillmore, New York where Jenny and I are house sitting until late July. As two unemployed newlyweds this house sitting is essentially just more honeymoon. I must confess I am quite happy about that. Well, my wife awaits so I must be going now. Thank you for reading and hopefully I'll write more soon!

No comments: