Wednesday, June 08, 2011

My First Day With Clients! Cool!

So, today was pretty much the most awesome experience I've had since starting in Psychology. For the first time I was working with actual clients. No more textbooks, no more theories, just real face-to-face interaction with clients.

The big highlights of my day were a fire drill (which I'm thankful happened after I had gone over it in orientation) and getting to witness the WAIS-IV (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale or, colloquially, IQ Test) being administered. At the top of this post is the official WAIS-IV logo, but I kind of prefer the graffiti I found in my Google image search.

For obvious reasons I can't go into actual detail. But it was just fascinating to see all of the things I've been reading about and heard lectured on for three years actually put to use. Actually become a reality.

I still don't know if clinical psychology is something I personally want to pursue as a profession. I don't think I'm far enough along in my internship to know that. But I still really enjoyed it.

I had originally hoped that since the Houghton end of my internship requires me to journal about each day in the field that I could just blog about it. Now that I'm actually in the internship I realized just how little there actually is that I can write about on my blog. Hmmmm. Well, I guess I'll just have to blog to the extent that I can (I am really enjoying actually writing each night) and then privately journal the rest.

Also, the nights when I'm not fresh from my internship I will still try to find things to write about. Like...my job search. Which isn't going well. Nobody wants to hire somebody part time, two days a week, who is going to ditch them after the summer. Ugh. Well, I'll write more on that later. Maybe I'll write so eloquently, and with such passion, that some random passerby (because there are passerby in the blogosphere) will offer me a job.

Hey, it never hurts to hope, right?

No comments: