Thursday, June 28, 2007

Back in Estonia!

Anyway, it's been almost a week since i last wrote, i've been getting used to being back in Estonia and stuff. And it's been cool, i've had people complimenting me non-stop on my beautiful Estonian (but they did that even before i left so i'm used to it) and i've been pleased to realize that i didn't lose any of my fluency in the 3 weeks saturated in English. But just because i have wonderful Estonian skills doesn't mean that i don't like having things translated for me every now and then. Last Sunday (my first sunday back) was the farewell for our Regional commanders, the Tyrrells. It was quite exciting, we had like twice as many people as normally come. I'm not 100 percent sure why we had so many more than usual, it was probably because of either one of two reasons. 1 They were so loved that people wanted to make sure they had a nice goodbye, or 2 People wanted them to leave so bad that they felt they all had to come to make sure they really left. I'm not quite sure which it was, but whichever one it was, we had a bunch of people. And becuase we had a bunch of people, we had more language groups than usual present. We normally have roughly 2 and a half. 2 and a half you? How is this possible? Well we usually have English, Estonian and Russian, but most of the people understand enough English or Estonian that they don't need to have translation. Therefore, 2 and a half. But that day we had Russian speakers from Narva, making it necessary for us to have the meeting in 3 languages. Now that times when we've done this before it's taken forever, and been wicked annoying, because we have to say everything in three languages. "Hello!" "Tere!" "Priviet!" So this time the people from Finland let us borrow their snazzy translation equipment. hook one end into the translators brain...Oh wait, that hasn't been invented yet. You have two translators, one each for English and Russian, give them each microphones, have them sit on the balcony in back and talk queitly and have it transmitted to tiny headphone sets al over the room, which just so happen to be connect to the ears of the people needed translation. As i said earlier. Snazzy! So i sat back and listened to my buddy Tanel doing the English translation straight into my headphones and slowly started going crazy. He didn't do half bad, but i still i always feel i need to correct incorrect English (making myself a big hypocrite) and also there is one thing that in my years of working with translator's i've learned. If you're going to have a little voice in your ear translating, a female voice is always so much better. Maybe it's just cause i'm a guy, but back before Anneli figured out i didn't need her to translate for me i used to love having beautiful girls leaning over, whispering into my ear, translating for me. It's every guy's dream! But enough if no girl is physically next to you translating, a female voice just feels so much better on the ears. So when i got sick of listening to the English translation i'd switch over to my beautiful friend Masha on the Russia translation and just listen to a softer voice for a minute before putting my brain back to work slogging through translated english. Anyway, i don't know why i wrote all that, i just wanted to say that female voices are always nicer on translation. That's it really...

Anyway, speaking of Anneli, i was a little aprehensive coming back to Estonia, becuase i didn't exactly leave all my friends on the best terms. But now i'm back and i realize i had unerestimate the sterngh of friendship. Don't you love it when you do that? You're all like "Everyone hates me, i'm gonna be dodging bullets at every turn...AGH!" and then you realize no one hates you. And you're all still friends, and everythings dreamy and perfect. Well life may not be dreamy and perfect, but it's summer and everyone's happy and friendly (for the most part) and life's good. I forgot what good beautiful friends i have here in Estonia. And now i'm happy to be back. One thing that's kind of nice though is that very few of my friends read my blog (as far as i know) so i can say things like this and not worry about them jumping out quoting bits of this back at me. I mean i'd hate if someone jumped and started going "everything's dreamy and perfect!! YAY!!!!" that would be so irritating...Anyway, i'm lucky to have friends like this, nuff said.

Anyway, that's basicly it. I think i'm done for now. I must get back to my normal work of lying around doing nothing. Cya all later!

1 comment:

Kapten Clark said...

I didn't use translation headphones! That made it much more fun!! :-)