Friday, July 18, 2008

Abstinence, something I've been wanting to blog about for a while.

A few months I heard the statistic that 1 in 4 teenage girls in America has a sexual transmitted deisease. When I heard that I really wanted to blog and say something about it. But I couldn't really think of anything to that wouldn't come out the wrong way. But today I just had a conversation on MSN that prompted me to write this post that I've been wanting to write for a while. (I'm sorry, I know you're groaning and going "Why Chris? Why did I have to talk to you?") It has come to my attention over the last 18 years that one of the most popular things on Earth to talk about, think about, watch, and take part in is sex. Why? Well, if you can't answer that yourself you're too young to be reading this. I know that pretty much anything I can say on the subject will just be background noise. There is so much writing on abstinence out there. And I really have nothing new to say. Abstinence is the only 100% certain way of not getting any STDs, or getting yourself or someone else pregnant.

Yeah, I know, I know. "But what about other birth control? Ever heard of a condom?" Yes I have. But even if you have perfect protection, there are some things that can't be guarded against.You can't just have sex and not feel anything. Heck, it's all about the FEELING! And unless you've lost you're humanity along with your virginity, you'll feel things other than physical. There's emotion tied in there too. And face it, you can tell yourself all you want that it's okay, you love each other, you're going to get married anyway. (P.S. There's a certain two people who may think I'm refering to them. I'm not.) But in most cases you know that's not true. And if you're "going to get married anyway" and you "love each other" then you should love each other enough to be able to wait until you "get married anyway". Back to the feelings. Sex creates a spiritual and emotional bond. So does marriage. And if you think about it, having one without the other can kind of cause an imbalance. Sex is for a few minutes, if that. Marriage is for a lifetime. If you go and bond yourself with someone, but don't have that double bonding of marriage, you're opening yourself up to a load of potential hurt. The amount of long lasting hurt is not worth the short lasting pleasure. Please don't take the risk. Lives are destroyed everyday. One night, 3 lives messed up. And that's just counting those physically and intimately involved. I didn't even mention families. Friends. Communities.

It's not worth it. When I hear the statistic "1 in 4 teen girls has an STD" I'm just sickened. I walk down the street. I look at my friends. I count. "1, 2, 3, STD" I pray not. Because if 1 in 4 has an STD, does that mean that only 1 in 4 is a virgin? Or 1 in 8. Or 1 in 100. I hear that and I feel so hopeless. What does that mean for me? A guy praying for a pure wife. Definitely not deserving of one, but praying all the same. My heart just tears. And if 1 in 4 girls had an STD, I'm assuming there's some guys involved somewhere. The world is over run. Lust rules the world. So basically, this post is a militant call to prayer. This is me crying out my frustration at living in a fallen world. But I know there's still hope. And God is that hope. He is the only hope. So please pray with me. I don't know what to pray. Just pray. Thanks once again for reading my ramblings.

(P.S. Let me reiterate that this post is not a personal attack on anyone. It's just some stuff that's been on my heart to write.)

3 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

http://www.tmc.org.au/phpwebsite/files/phatfile/Marriage%20Prayer.pdf

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying too!

Erica said...

I agree with this post. I'll be praying too.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-7

It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Thessalonians%204;&version=31;