Friday, March 20, 2009

What I love about P.O.W.

I love P.O.W. with all my writing major heart! What is P.O.W. you ask? Well, not Prisoner of War. At Houghton, at least until the course change come into effect, the intro level writing course is Principles of Writing, or P.O.W. I love my P.O.W. class, and since I have half an hour before I need to go to P.O.W. I think I’ll tell you some of how fantastic it is. First of all, Professor Lori Huth is fantastic, I learn a lot in class about different writing styles and how to improve my writing, which means that this is probably the only class that I fully pay attention in, and don’t let my mind wander. But even more than the lectures I actually enjoy the work. In P.O.W. we have, like every class, readings for every class. But I usually skim, don’t do all the reading, or just don’t read for my other classes. But for P.O.W. I always make sure I’ve read, no matter what, because we have surprise reader responses in class. I love this because it means that I’m always ready to write and it’s getting me in the mindset of analyzing what I read to better understand not only the writer’s idea and point, but the nuances and ways that the point is presented more effectively through skilled writing. Through this better understand I am able to apply what I learn to my own writing, as well as being able to write about the things I read. I love how this class is improving my writing.

Another thing I love about this class is that whenever we have to write a paper we have writing workshops, where we split into groups of three and critique each other’s drafts and help each other. This is a good chance to analyze other people’s writing and also to get suggestions about my own writing. For the more difficult papers we have conferences with Professor Huth too, and she critiques our drafts and gives us suggestions before we turn them in the final time. I really like this class. Anyway, I should probably be going to this class soon, I don’t know why I told you all that. I hope you know I’m enjoying college! Cya!

No comments: