Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back to Tallinn, hooray!

Well, it’s been a while since I left Tallinn, like 2 whole days or something, but it feels like forever. I can’t wait to get back and post this post. That’s right. Once again I’m writing in the car. At the moment we’re in Lithuania, heading for the Latvian border. In a bit more than two hours we’ll be at the Estonian border, and from there about two hours to Tallinn. It’s going to be a late night. I guess not many people can say that they’ve been to three countries in three days, but I can see why. It’s a tiring trip! I much prefer air travel, statistically safer (according to Superman) and also much quicker and more comfortable. But my air travel will come on Saturday morning, as I head to America. I’ve sort of given up dreading it. I don’t know if my rambling “Wanderlust” post made any sense whatsoever, but that’s a part of it. I’ve allowed myself to be caught up in the thrill of traveling. And also, I know it’s going to happen, so why dread it? I could stop it if I wanted, going to college is my own doing. But I want to go. And Estonia, in all it’s glory, will still be here when I come back. The hard part now is the waiting. I know that once I’m on the plane, or in America, moving in, meeting friends, I’ll be fine. I know that, all bragging and sarcasm aside, once I’m put into a situation I can handle it, and usually handle it with more finesse than I would expect of myself. It’s just the waiting that sucks. The endless “what ifs” that march through my mind, trying to tear down my confidence and awaken my fear. But on the other hand I only have 4 full days left, then my life will be plunged into complete chaos, and there won’t be too much waiting involved. And now some of my further thoughts on the coming plunge…

Normally I have about a million “bungee cords” of support. Friends, family and just the comfort that comes from being somewhere familiar. Enough bungee cords to form an elaborate and beautiful safety net. I may have worries, fears and problems, but I know that I have all the help and support I need. Now I’m taking the biggest plunge of my life with only a few cords holding me. First and strongest and most precious, God. No matter what I do I will never lose his protection, and he will always love and care for me. Secondly, and not quite so reliable, I have myself. Allow me to tell you about two of my heroes, Indiana Jones and Han Solo. First of all they are both played by Harrison Ford, secondly they’re both great with the ladies. If that wasn’t enough to make them my heroes I don’t know what more I could want. But what are two things these two characters have in common other than these two things? One simple thing. Rogue’s luck. They’re both what could be defined as, “Rogues”, and I have always considered myself something of a rogue. Those who know me might agree with that title, or might not. But I definitely like that idea. And both of them seem to get by on luck quite a bit. “Never tell me the odds!” And though I don’t really believe in luck I do believe that things always seem to work out okay for me, some might call that luck, some might not. I just call it really cool. But I also like to call it “Rogue’s Luck” because that was an ability in “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic”. So in some ways I feel I can count on myself and my own coolness, and my own intellect and abilities. And the third and final thing that I see as supporting me when I go to America is language! I might not know the culture, but I know the language. And though I’ve been told I have slight Canadian accent (weird) after surviving 4 years almost completely stranded in a foreign language environment anything done completely in English will be easy in comparison.

So, as you can see I’ve gained an extremely cocky confidence. But I’d rather be cocky then terrified. Anyway, I do have some other stuff to blog about, but nothing I want to do without internet access. I also would really like to blog about the situation between Russia and Georgia with South Ossetia, but having spent 4 years in a country bordering Russia that was illegally occupied by the Soviet Union for about 50 years, I can’t find much to say that isn’t horribly hateful towards Russians. But I will say one thing to President Bush who, according to BBC World News is “deeply concerned” about this. Russia and America are both major world powers. They both have more land and more firepower than most other countries. And they have one other thing in common. They both use military force, invading countries, when they shouldn’t. At least Russia has a less flimsy excuse than us. They’re “defending Russian citizens” rather than defending the people of Iraq (who made us in charge of defending smaller countries? Why is it our responsibility? A noble cause is no excuse for stupidity.) or trying to keep someone from using some nuculur, ah-hem, forgive me, nuclear missiles which are…where? Bush wants the Russians to pull out, well I’ve got one last thing to say. Matthew 7:3 and 4 says, “You can see the speck in your friend's eye, but you don't notice the log in your own eye. How can you say, "My friend, let me take the speck out of your eye," when you don't see the log in your own eye?” look to your own troops, and your own wrong invasion first, then talk to Putin.

Now I’m sure I upset some of my readers, because I know that some of my readers are pro-Bush, well, you know what? Too bad. I’m sorry if I upset anyone, but Russia attacking Georgia is wrong, and the world is shocked. And America attacking Iraq was wrong, and the world was shocked. Remember “freedom fries”? Anyway, I’ve managed to both come across as sickeningly cocky and upset tons of Republicans all in one post! I should feel so proud. What a liberal rogue I am. I hope you don’t all hate me too much. I normally try to steer clear of politics, because I know that it’s a great way to make enemies fast, but I really am upset about both Georgia and Iraq. War is wrong. Killing is wrong. There is no such thing as a just war. So JUST STOP! I’m off now, time to listen to something on my MP3 player. Maybe some NightWish, maybe some NPR. Until later, Cya!

P.S. If I really did upset anyone please don’t write me spiteful and angry comments. I prefer my liquid hatred to drip in my E-mail, where only I see it. Anyway, hope I didn’t lose any readers!

6 comments:

lux said...

i agree with you mate, about Georgia and Iran, and about war...
We are called to love each other, including enemies.. War is crap... the people most affect are the poor and those that can't stand up for themselves.

by the way i have been in 3 countries in just about 30 hours... it is like that each time i want to head to Van. LOL

Love ya bro.
blessings

Anonymous said...

As we hate flying, our "normal" vacation takes us sometimes in 3 days through 6 or 7 countries - Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Belgium/Netherlands/France (depends where we are headed)... It is possible to get used to it, although we always wish that we could create a wormhole through Poland because driving though it is extremely slow and tiresome. :)

I agree with you about war, it is wrong in all cases - although having an army will sometimes be useful, like, when a small child gets lost in the woods, the soldiers will help to search. Your attitude towards Russia is quite adequate, there are many wonderful Russians, but the country itself (or the government) is mostly pure evil. I doubt that USA is that corrupt and conrolled... I hope tht Estonia will be there when you come back, for some minor personal reasons - like living here, you know -I'd like it to be. ;)

Good luck on your trip. May angels be with you.

Anonymous said...

I disagree about war never being just. If a country DID have weapons of mass destruction, and WAS threatening to attack us, I think we would be justified in retaliating in order to protect our people. Obviously, in a perfect world, war would never be necessary, but our world is far from perfect.

Also, this is one of my favorite Bible quotes.

Kapten Clark said...

The term "just war" is a very important one for you to know, Chris! I have been in shock to hear people claim the war in Iraq is a "just war" -- they clearly are not familiar (or perhaps not in agreement?) with the actual definition of the term!

http://www.catholic.com/library/Just_war_Doctrine_1.asp

Please read this.

Anonymous said...

Chris, YOu are amazing.

I love and respect you.

As for the Russians, you know my deal, but I thought it was great what you wrote about Bush and Putin, how true!!!!!

As for war, I agree.
Peace on Earth.
Goodwill to men.
Do unto others...

Anonymous said...

the last anoymous is Auntie MK. I forgot my blog name and password.