Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Wanderlust is rising…

Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, New York. Most people don’t get to see all four in a lifetime. I get to see all four in a week! As you all know I haven’t been terribly excited about leaving Estonia. It’s not something I’m all that happy about. I’d much rather have Houghton magically transported to Estonia and take the place of, like, Saku or something. Then I could go away to college in English, study what I want, yet still live in Estonia and be able to visit Tallinn as much as I want. That would be ideal. But thank God I don’t have that kind of power, or else I’d end up rearranging the whole globe. I wouldn’t mind moving Vancouver and Australia closer to me. But anyway, this last week before I leave is vacation. And I’m making it my own brand of R & R. Some would say I should just sit, rest and read. And go on Facebook of course. But no. I know that there is only one way that I can make this move. I must awaken…the Wanderlust! I believe that I’ve blogged about the Wanderlust before, and I had internet access at the moment I’d see what I’ve said before and also look up the lyrics to two NightWish songs. But since I have no internet at the moment (I’m typing this on my dad’s laptop as we drive from Riga, Latvia to Vilnius, Lithuania) I’ll just listen to the NightWish songs and trust my own hearing and also trust that I won’t be too redundant of anything I’ve said before.

Now, back to the Wanderlust. What is the Wanderlust, you ask? It is an awesome NightWish song, though it’s from back when Tarja was singing so I can’t completely understand the lyrics due to her Finnish accent. But I’ve looked up the lyrics before, and I know that what I don’t understand is just as cool as what I do. But that’s not really the Wanderlust I’m talking about. That’s just a song. I’m talking about something deeper. I’m talking about the all consuming desire to travel. The need to see new things. To have new surroundings. To breath new air, eat new food, smell new smells. “I want to see where the sirens sing, hear how the wolves howl…dance in the fields of coral…discover the deepest jungle, I want to find the secret path…it is the journey that matters…call of the wild in me forever, and ever and ever! Wanderlust!” that’s some of NightWishe’s Wanderlust. And though I must admit they seem to be more about getting out into nature, I see it more as finding new things and discovering the world. So what am I getting at here? Quoting NightWish and raving about my desire to have new adventures, do I have a point here? Possibly. Probably. Definitely. Ready? Time for some more NightWish quotes…

“Wayfarer, heartlander!” Curse Tarja’s accent! I know this song has really cool words, I just can’t remember them or understand them! But whatever. The name of the song is enough. Plus those two understandable words from the chorus. I know that some of you noticed that on Friday night my FaceBook status was, “Chris has seven days left in his heartland” When Keit saw that she asked me (Via MSN), “’Heartland’ Chris, do you really love Estonia that much?” My answer, of course, was a resounding, “YES” Why is this my heartland? Allow me to explain. I have come to realize and accept that no country will ever be my, “Homeland” growing up in America and speaking English will always make me a foreigner in Estonia, yet spending my teenage years in Estonia, completely cut off from, and not caring about, American culture has and will make me feel like a foreigner in my official, documented “Homeland” See, I’m stuck. Therefore, since I don’t have the luxury of an Earthly homeland, I claim the luxury of choosing an Earthly heartland. That is, Estonia. It has no true meaning to anyone other than myself, but Estonia is my heartland.

Anyway, I have internet now (yay!) and looked up “The Wayfarer” lyrics. I knew there was something cool. “Home is where the way is, my road goes on forever, one more voyage to go” well, that seems true. I feel very much at home in an airport. More than most other places. So, home is where the way is, and I know my road will go on before me for the rest of my life. Such interesting things. Sometimes I get the feeling that I’ve just blogged and no one even gets what I’m talking about, this is one of those times. Anyway, here’s a little summary. To go to America I’m going to need some inspiration and motivation. And what motivates and inspires me? Travel and adventure, two synonymous words that would be in my version of that “These are a few of my favorite things” song from the Sound of Music. So by traveling through two countries, one of which I’ve never been to before, I am igniting an immense Wanderlust, a desire for change. And I will ride the wave of this Wanderlust until I am safely settled in America. Because I know that I am embarking on the biggest adventure of my life, and so rather than fear and worry about it, I’m deciding to enjoy the ride and jump in head first! I love to travel! Here’s a little of what I’ve seen traveling so far…

That's right, today I saw...Akatsuki! There were four of them, and traveling with them was..Sasuke! Super funky plot twist! There was also some chick with cat ears and a tail coming out from under her skirt. That was odd. It's like that fillr with the fish girl. Wierd. Anyway, when I saw them I was about to drop into a ready battle position, ready to fight them to the death because they're so nastily evil, but then I decided I'd rather just laugh. Teenage girls are always so funny when they cosplay as guys. I only recognized Deidara and Itachi, but the fact that an extremely girly Sasuke was traveling with them still made me laugh. Just think about it. I, an American, watch Naruto in Estonia, in Japanese, with English subtitles. Then I come to Lithuania and run into a group of girls cosplaying Akatsuki. It's funny. I LOVE TRAVELING! THE WANDERLUST HAS TAKEN HOLD! Now I must be off. The world awaits! Good night!

2 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

Home is where the heart is, wherever you may roam.

Erica said...

I'm glad Estonia is your "heartland". I hope you enjoy traveling and the things that God puts on your way.