Thursday, August 21, 2008

What's the first thing we think of when we think about America? That's right. The flag. The American flag pants.

Well, I've been in America for a while now, and to be honest, it hasn't been that bad. Normally I go to America and I'm sickened, both physically and emotionally, by everything. But thanks to my super special awesome foresight I've been watching what, and how much, I eat so as to not make myself sick. And as far as emotionally sick? Well, I believe that 2 things saved me there. First of all I know there's A LOT of people praying for me. Like, more than I realize. So right now I just need to say thank you, I'm already over jetlag, I haven't made myself sick once AND I'm barely having any trouble with culture shock! That's one huge miracle! The other reason is that I think that spending the summer with the very American mission team (No, I'm not dissing you, I'm just calling you American) sort of immunized me or something. So most of the things that have "culture shocked" me have been more of the, "Hmmm, that's odd" variety rather than the, "OH MY GOD, THIS COUNTRY MAKES ME SICK!" variety. The biggest shock I've had so far was the revelation that it's not that people don't walk because they're lazy, it's because they can't! Everything seems to be set up to only support cars, not walking. And even if there were good places to walk, everything is so far away! And everything is huge! I was making plans with someone and I'd just been thinking I'd walk to meet them. The idea of a car entering the equation just never came into my mind. So I was shocked to realize that, no, I CANNOT walk everywhere. There is no tram. This country is designed to make you fat and lazy because of the way it takes away walking!

Wow, see, that shows how well I'm doing. Only one tiny little rant. The only other thing that really comes to mind is that there are flags everywhere. Years ago, when I livedin America I was in a creative writing class and we had some assignment. I don't remember what the assignment was, but I do remember that girl wrote an excellent, thought provoking paper about the flag. This was recently after 9/11 and she argued in her paper that because we were putting out so many flags that we were disrespecting the flag, I don't remember her whole arguement, because I never paid attention in writing class, (but something got through apparently, because my blog seems to have some half decent writing on it) but I'm starting to get it now. In Estonia I have two photo hobbies. I like taking pictures of the sky, sunsets especially, and I like taking pictures of the Estonian flag. Why? Well, because the sky is beautiful. But the flag because it's special to see an Estonian flag. We take out the flag for holidays. But they're not out all the time, so it makes the flag worth more. So I love the Estonian flag. But the American flag is everywhere, all the time. It loses what made it special. Do you see what I'm saying?

So that's one rant, one, "That's odd". I'm sure once I get to college I'll find more to rant about. To be honest, now that I'm sitting here blogging I'm starting to remember a few things I could rant about if I really wanted to. But I don't. I'd rather tell you what I've been up to lately. I'll start from the beginning. I left really early on Saturday, so early that I don't remember exactly what time. My plane took off like 6ish something. Anyway, I had a good trip. First a few hours over to Copenhagen, then an insane 5 hour layover there. But that layover actually wasn't that bad, I had a bag of peanuts in my bag and 3 episodes of, "Wait, wait. Don't tell me!" on my MP3 player. So I hunted down an empty bench (hint: if you're ever looking for an empy bench in an airport, find out if there's any construction going on. Chances are even if there's no noises from the construction, nobody will be sitting there!) lay back and worked through my snack and my podcasts. Then I read some more of Robin Hobb's, "Forest Mage" (hint: if you love to read, bringing an awesome 800+ page book is a great idea!)

Then I got on the plane and checked out the entertainment system. I'll be blunt. SAS's entertainment system sucks. KLM has the best entertainment system EVER! But sadly I was on an SAS flight. I enjoyed myself though. I watched several movies, "Be kind, rewind" which I honestly didn't think was that funny. I was REALLY disapointed. Come on Jack Black! Then, "Drillbit Taylor", which was pretty funny. Yay, Owen Wilson! I also watched some other stuff, I don't remember what though. I just remember a feeling of deep disapointment, because I watched, "Be kind, rewind" first. And I was angry because the stupid entrtainment system would not let me rewind! It was not kind! But whatever, now I know I should always try to fly KLM. Then I landed in Newark and got mugged by security. Not really, but mind as well have been. first I stood in a line for HALF AN HOUR, than I finally get to the desk hand the guy my passport and that stupid little security paper they make you fill out and he looks at me and in extremely bored voice says, "is that pencil?" So I had to go to THE BACK OF THE LINE and rewrite my stupid security paper again in pen. It asked questions like, "What did you buy while away from the U.S.?" only like HALF OF WHAT I OWN! Though I didn't put that. I left that blank. Then, are you bringing in more than 10,000 dollars? I wish! Geeze, those questions all irritate me. So anyway, that sucked. Security took forever. Then I couldn't find the carousal with my baggage. Then I finally did find it, but I did something stupid. I took my baggage off before making the blood sacrifice to summon the baggage cart (seriously, 3 bucks for a cart I'll use for 10 minutes? Those guys suck!) so I used my super human strengh to pick up 3 suitcases and my bag and run over to the carts. Run because if I didn't go fast I would have fallen over. I was literally carrying almost everything I own. So then I sacrificed my firstborn for a cart and then finally pushed my way to the back of ANOTHER HUGE LINE! I hate lines. Then I finally got through it all and went out to meet Uncle Billy, who was picking me up.

And ever since I've been with him, partying non-stop. And despite the fact that I've had tons of computer access I haven't wanted to blog because I'm on some sort of mini-laptop so typing is really awkward for me. But I realized that if I can go on FaceBook and write stupid comments than I can blog for you guys. And also someone asked me to. So I decided to give you this super long post so that nobody can ever complain that I don't blog enough. Anyway, so let me tell you what I've done this week. I got some super awesome sneakers. Like super extra cool. They're black. And they go on my feet. That's cool. And un-like my old sneakers, the bottom doesn't collapse! Yay! I also have gotten, from various places, all the bedding I need. So thank you to my Aunt Mary-Kay (Masha) and my Aunt Sylvia. And when I went to Maine, I just got back from Maine by the way, my Uncle Andy gave me a guitar! Uncle Andy must have some scheme about how when I'm a rockstar he'll be in my band or something. Because he's given me my first two guitars! I had to leave my old one in Estonia, but now I have a new one, so nothing can stop me from becoming a super rockstar! And believe it or not this guitar is tuned, despite living in a basement for a while. So I'm thrilled with that.

So, as I mentioned I just got back from Maine. I had loads of fun, I got to see pretty much everybody because we had a big party. It was so cool! And I was so happy to just be loved by so many people. That was special. My cousin Monica almost wouldn't let me leave, and my little 3 year old cousin Joann gave me a nice big hug and kiss. So anyway, now I'm back in New York, and I'm going to be traveling around tomorrow to see my Grandparents, and then Saturday I'm going to be meeting some Salvationist girls who are also going to Houghton. So that should be fun. I'll try not to be nervous. Oh, but before I go I have an intersting story and a caution to young travelers. Because I'm moving I am, of course, taking everything of importance with me. Including some glass stuff. Trust me, if you're traveling internationally you really shouldn't put your glass in your checked luggage, I swear the people at the airport smashed your suitcase with sledgehammers before launching it out of a cannon into the plane which then drops it, without a parachute, onto a concrete landing platform from an altitude of 3000 feet. And that's before they even take out the bulldozer! So anyway, I think you get it. Broken glass throughout my suitcase. Bad. Well, what made it worse was that I forgot about it, so as I was reaching for some clothes I sliced open the side of my pinky. Ouch, bloody.

So since I was alone and without bandaids I made a makeshift bandage out of a papertowel and one of those rubber wristbands. Still not nice. It's okay now, I mean, the doctor said I didn't really need that finger anyway, so amputation shouldn't be a problem. Just kidding. But then I was still faced with the task of cleaning up the glass. I didn't cut myself again but I did experience one of the oddest moments of my life. I never thought I would be shaking glass shards out of my underwear. So this is my advice to any of you traveling. Don't travel with glass. But if you must and breaks, be sure to shake out your underwear before you put it on. I don't want to even think about what could have happened had I not cut my finger, I wouldn't have felt the need to clean up the glass yet, would have gotten dressed the next day and...Thank God I cut my finger! See, I told you the prayer was working. God works in mysterious ways, but I honestly believe I had to get cut because if I hadn't I wouldn't have cleaned up and then I might have just as easily ended up cutting my wrist accidentally instead of my finger. So thank God. anyway, I really should be going now, I've got some traveling to do tomorrow. Cya!

2 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

As always, the flags looked so beautiful on Wednesday! It is truly one of my favorite sights -- a street lined with wooden houses, all flying the sini-must-valge! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we've had the TSA root through our bags and completely trash the structure of the suitcase, ruining the case and getting bits of suitcase in all our stuff.

Have you seen Napoleon Dynamite, which is what that picture's from? Cause it's totally your kind of movie.