Monday, May 16, 2011

I’ll Show You the Life of the Mind!

Be warned, the following clip contains John Goodman, a shotgun, and the murder of two fascist police detectives. Also note, this sequence makes just as little sense in the context of Barton Fink.

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. I decide to write every night and eventually I won't know what to write. Writers' block and whatnot. Dang. So I thought that particular clip was appropriate, being from Barton Fink, a movie about writers' block that the ever fantastic Coen brothers wrote while they had writers' block with a different movie. Oh, the horror of writers' block...I have ideas, they just aren't really moving, either tonight or last. Ugh.

Anyway, because I'm vain enough to hope that you might find my life interesting I think I'll just tell you about my day. Today Jenny, my beautiful fiance, and I went (window) shopping for wedding stuff. We're getting married June 10th, 2012 (WOOHOO!) Jenny's aunt is cool enough to be making her dress so Jenny and I went looking at what types of things we might like.

In Deb Jenny went into the changing area to try on the dresses and there were two rickety plastic chairs right in the entrance of the changing area so I assumed that was the official male-companion-waiting-area, a.k.a. kennel. Jenny confirmed so I plopped myself there and oohed and aahed over the first two dresses (she looked very pretty) until one of the store employees noticed me...

Sorry, men aren't allowed in here...

Crap. Thus commenced several awkward minutes of standing between prom dress hedges and waiting for Jenny to come out. Finally we were able to leave and luckily Jenny had tried on the best looking dresses first so I hadn't missed anything.

This was followed by an adventure to the fabric store to look at stuff, where we ran into Jenny's friend Kara, which was a cool and unexpected surprise. It was especially nice considering that Kara was looking for stuff for her wedding too!

Jenny and I eventually ended up having lunch at Applebees (A little more expensive than we usually do, but at Houghton we don't have much variety for dates so I figure we might as well now that we have the option) before going to Borders. In Borders Jenny perused the poetry (I'm not sure I can really get into Pablo Neruda...Dang Jenny, how can you not?) and I drooled over the David Foster Wallace books (when I obsess I really obsess) and eventually we ended up by the plan-your-marriage books.

Jenny and I sat on the floor trying not to hyperventilate as the thick volume told us everything we could possibly screw up in our wedding planning. As we discussed the necessity of some of the things on the list another young couple stepped past us and, awkwardly apologizing, pulled an even thicker volume off the wall to hyperventilate with. They looked like a nice couple (by which I mean nerdy and weird like us) and it was slightly comforting to remember we're not the only ones trying to figure out this type of insanity.

Well, I began with a clip from Barton Fink so I guess I'll end with one too. This is me. You might think this post uninteresting and narcissistic but...



In case you can't tell, I only just figured out how to embed YouTube videos...

Now watch this and say What? with Andy Sandberg at 1:07 in reaction to both Michael Bolton and this post!

No comments: