Tuesday, April 08, 2008

“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.”

That is one of my favorite quotes, a great little verse from proverbs. I’ll repeat it just because I’m so horrendously repetitive. “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17. This is something I’ve always thought about with my friends. I’ve always prayed that I am sharpening them, and I do my best to sharpen them. But many times I’ve felt like I don’t have any friends who sharpen me. Because when I read this verse before I used to think it meant something like, “You should have amazingly godly friends who you will be so in awe of that you will want to be just like them!” But I’ve never really had a friend who I could look up to in that way. But I was feeling a little irritated with my friends today because they were making some choices I didn’t completely agree with and they knew my feelings on the subject so I was just holding my peace. And then I realized something when I read this verse. How does iron sharpen iron? Is it by setting the two pieces next to each other and letting them sit comfortably? No, that wouldn’t do anything, and given enough time it would make them dull. You make iron sharp by smashing it against another piece of iron! By rubbing them together, through the friction between them they sharpen each other. And I realized something. I never really had a friend I could look up to, but I honestly doubt it would do much good, because I would just end up feeling inadequate. But smashing against my friends is what sharpens me. The friction between us sharpens me. Through the clashes with my friends I am constantly defining who I am and what I believe, sharpening myself to a razor edge. And I’ve realized that it is not through sitting next to a sharper piece of iron that I sharpen, it is through clashing with other iron.

So anyway, there’s my thoughts on Proverb’s 27:17. Give me some feedback. I’m getting lonely out here. Leave me a comment, through FaceBook or Blogger, anything. Tell me what you think of my writing lately. But now I must go, Cya!

No comments: