Sunday, April 06, 2008

Life is just so…life!

Just like everyday of my life, on Friday I had some ups, and I had some downs. The ups weren’t that up and the downs weren’t that down. But it was still something. Let me tell you all about it, because I know you love to hear about my life! It’s just what you live for, right? That’s the only explanation for why you all keep reading. Unless I’m just the hottest guy alive and you’re all hoping to marry me. All you girls anyway. If any of you guys are interested I just have to say that I’m very sorry but, no. But anyway, enough ego stroking, it’s time to begin!

That morning I woke up to a shock. I had slept in like a whole hour! No real problem of course, but still a shock. But a bigger shock was yet to come. Life likes to throw me curve balls and watch me smash them. Or more like life likes to throw pointy shuriken at me and watch me catch and return them with my mad ninja skills. But either way, I do it. So anyway, I got up and then my mother greeted me sort of like this “Good morning, you’re in charge of youth night tonight!” Because I still wasn’t fully awake I responded something like “Yeah, good morning…YOUTH NIGHT! WHAT?” Because I knew that I was not in charge of youth night, my dad was. But apparently the forces of the universe wanted to give me a little excitement, so at the last minute I got put in charge. It wasn’t that bad, but it was still annoying. I like to plan ahead (as I will complain more about later) and so when people spring things on me at the last minute I get annoyed. If you tell me something 24 hours in advance then I’m okay with it. But if you tell me 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds in advance then I won’t be happy. This was told to me 8 hours in advance. So I quickly scraped together the best thing I could, and because I’m so awesome (and because I enlisted the aid of my mother, the herald of bad news) it turned out okay. But before I can tell you what I did I have an announcement I need to make…

This summer we have a mission team coming to Estonia! 8 beautiful Christian young ladies are going to come to Estonia and be our slaves for a little while and do mission team type stuff. It’s going to be good. And so last night was focused around these 8 girls. Despite the fact that I have never met any of them I managed to get enough facts about them to play some quiz type games and then the best part was when we had a caption contest with some funny pictures of the girls that I got off their FaceBook profiles. It was quite good, despite my rush to prepare. Then after that we each got one of the girls as a prayer partner. I’ll be praying for Mhairi Smeaton, the team leader. Don’t ask me how to pronounce her name, I think maybe I’ll be able to figure it out if she tells me in person, but I I’m not quite sure. Let’s hope!

Anyway, now I want to complain about people who don’t like to plan ahead. Yesterday, while walking through Old Town on our way home I asked Anneli, Evelin and Priit if they wanted to meet up on Saturday and hang out and do anything. Anything at all. And, Priit of course, being the sensible guy that he is, said “Sure, let’s do it.” But Anneli and Evelin, being the not so sensible young ladies that they are, just fussed and whined and said they were too tired to think. And then Saturday they said they were too tired. Meaning I sat home all day trying to avoid work and wishing I could go do something. I wouldn’t be so bugged by this if it wasn’t for the fact that this isn’t the first time this has happened. But most people I know are like this. Let’s not plan, let’s be spontaneous! Ugh, whatever. We could have had so much fun, their loss…

This actually got me thinking about my friends a bit, and why they’re my friends. One of the reasons why I’m not a huge fan of sites like MySpace and Orkut is because I really don’t want to meet tons of new people. It’s not that I don’t want friends, it’s just that I prefer a few good friends over many so called “friends”. I only have so much energy, so I have always in my life tried to only have a few good friends who I stick with rather than tons of people who I kind of know. And I think this has always been good for me. I always have liked it better than when I’ve tried to juggle friends. But the only downside to this approach to friendship is that if my few good friends are busy than I have no one else to turn to. This is rather irritating, and I’m thinking of trying to do something to remedy it. Why I think I might need to find a solution to this problem is because most of my friends are the opposite of me, and have many “friends” and so are never stuck for something to do or someone to be with. So let me see…I tried hanging out at MegaGame and playing Yugioh, but that just didn’t work for me. Unlike in Tartu where it was a bunch of teens playing games, here in Tallinn it’s a bunch of 20 somethings doing business with children’s trading cards. It’s all about winning the tournament and selling your cards, not about having fun. So I quite that a while ago. Hmmm, where else could I go for friends? I guess I could try going to some of those gamer internet cafes. Man, I’m such a nerd! But to be honest that’s one of the thing I really miss. Here in Estonia I have no real “nerd” friends. I have no gamer friends. And though my nerdy tendencies have lessened quite a bit as time goes by I still miss it. In America I remember playing X-Box, GameCube, Heroes of Might and Magic III and Dungeons and Dragons every Saturday with my gamer buddies. But here I really have no one to play with. What I really long for is a friend to play Heroes IV with. I know that makes me such a nerd, but I get so sick of playing alone. Anyway, that’s a hopeless dream. But maybe someday I’ll get my wish. Maybe my Houghton roommate will be a hard-core HOMM III-IV fanatic! There’s always a chance.

Anyway, enough rambling about my nerdy hopes and dreams that will never be fulfilled. Now I must go, Cya!

2 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." (1 Cor. 13:11)
Chris, it's time to put those games behind you! :-)

The Wittenbergs in Rovaniemi Finland said...

You pronouce her name like Mari (the translator. I think she even likes the roll of the r.

I am excited about her and the team coming.

Tell you mum and dad that our corps sargeant major is sending out the packages this week. He has been working on them. Our Christmas stuff walked off (same old same old everywhere), but we have easter stuff that you will be able to use all year round for young children. He started packing before they walked away this time.

Be blessed,

Susan