Thursday, January 12, 2006

Post #99-Test!!

agh!!!! test!!! the evil word!!! run for your life!!! just be careful not to hurt your computer as you run screaming from the room. i just got back from estonian class where i had a test. normally this wouldn't be so bad, but, well, we had class vacation all through december. and then i skipped the last 2 classes, one because i had to, the other because i just didn't feel like going. so i haven't been to class in roughly a month, and of course i haven't studfied either. my philosophy on studying is that if you didn't learn it in class then it's your teachers fault, not yours, so you shouldn't be the one punished by having to study. now of course put up against any logic this philosophy makes as much sense as the "my friend jumped off the cliff so maybe i should too" philosophy. so basicly it was my own laziness that kept me from studying. but that's beside the point. so anyway i get to class today and every's sitting here with their books out studying and i'm like "tere" and then they tell me the wonderful news. "there's a test today!" oh great, not only is there a test but almost everyone but me knows about it and feels ready for it. crud. but anyway. so this was a test on chapters 1-10 in our books, ok, cool, i got that. thats all the simple stuff. i use chapters 1-5 just saying "olge vait ja mine magama!!"("shut up and go to sleep!!") which i did alot at camp in loksa, at 4 in the morning. so this test was pretty basic, changing word forms, telling the time, basic replies to common phrases and so on. so i did ok, but not great. because of course the second i heard we were going to have a test my brain started systematically erasing everything useful from my brain. so of course being nervous like i was my already horrid handwriting was even worse, and my already feeble understanding of the whole word form thing was non-existent. all in all, junky conditions for a test. then my mom reminded me of a simple phrase from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, "DON'T PANIC" printed in large friendly letters. so i did that, calmed down and did what i alwasy do when i'm having trouble with estonian, i focus my mind on some estonians (almost always teenage girls) who i would like to be able to speak to completely in estonian. then i draw my motivation from that. i didn't really focus on anyone particular this time, i just thought about going to english camp and being able to speak estonian to the estonians. and i pictured leading the you th group(more on that later) completeley in estonian. and i also pictured the people at the kolgata(calvary in english) church youth group. i used to go to thier youth group, but i am so sick of sitting with a translator whispering in my ear. and then there is always the outsider feeling that comes from not understanding a word said around you. but anyway, that was the big goal i focused on, if by the end of 2006 i can go without a translater i will be so happy. so that motivated me. well to be truthful, what really motivated me is that then i could go talk to my georgous friends kristi and mariliis (know i'm not spelling right) from kolgata, if i can get down estonian. so many future goals...so little time...so anyway, with my head full of wondeful motivation i charged at the test full force, and i don't think i did half bad, maybe 49% bad, but not a full 50% half.

so now i'm starving. I NEED FOOD!!!! FOOD!!!! FOOD!!!! so i'm gonna go. oh, and i said i would tell you more about our youth group later. and now it's later. it could be later tommorow too but...i'll be nice. well anyway. tonight is youth group here at salvation army tartu and guess who's in charge? me! i'm leading it. but in english. and i have to use the most annoying translater on earth. so some day i will lead it without a translater, i'll do it all in estonian. but anyway, that's the future, right now i have one goal, FOOD!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so i'm annoying?....who aid that he is going to be nicer from now on?...urg...