Saturday, May 12, 2007

Poetry Night!

Last night was quite exciting. Why was it quite exciting? Did martians attack? No, it wasn't that exciting. What was exciting was...poetry! Yeah, yeah. I know. Everybody hates poetry. Well who cares. I don't. And apparently only a few people at our corps do. So we had a poetry night! It was great, we had poems in three languages read by people ranging from 17 (me) to 80ish (not me). It was greaT. i read 3 poems, because i am SOO cool. And because i am SOO cool i will share these three poems with you. And NO, I didn't write them. Everyone asked "did you write these?" do i seem like the type who writes poetry?! "Roses are red, violets are blue, I love video games, how about you?" Anyway, enough pointless ranting, get ready for three really good poems!!
~
The Most Vital Thing In Life
By Grenville Kleiser (Or so i am told)
~
When you feel like saying something
That you know you will regret,
Or keenly feel an insult
Not quite easy to forget,
That's the time to curb resentment
And maintain a mental peace,
For when your mind is tranquil
All your ill-thoughts simply cease.
~
It is easy to be angry
When defrauded or defied,
To be peeved and disappointed
If your wishes are denied;
But to win a worthwhile battle
Over selfishness and spite,
You must learn to keep strict silence
Though you know you're are right.
~
So keep your mental balance
When confronted by a foe,
Be it enemy in ambush'
Or some danger that you know.
If you are poised and tranquil
When all around is strife,
Be assured that you have mastered
The most vital thing in life.
~
I love that poem, it's definitely my second favorite, or maybe even all time favorite, poem.
~
God's Will For You And Me
(I don't know who wrote it)
~
Just to be tender, just to be true,
Just to be glad the whole day through,
Just to be merciful, just to be mild,
Just to be trustful as a child,
Just to be gentle and kind and sweet,
Just to be helpful with willing feet,
Just to be cherry when things go wrong,
Just to drive sadness away with a song,
Whether the hours is dark or bright,
Just to be loyal to God and right,
Just to believe that God know best,
Just in his promises ever to rest -
Just to let love be our daily keys,
That is God's will for you and me.
~
That's another cool poem. It's not my favorite, but it's stil pretty cool.
~
The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost
~
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
~
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
~
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
~
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~
That, THAT, is my favorite poem. Anyway, I gotta go now, i hoped you liked those three poems! Cya!

1 comment:

Erica said...

Yes, I liked the poems. Thanks Chris.