Thursday, January 17, 2008

And once again the universe bends to my will…

Well not quite. Not my will. I’m just quoting Achilles De Flandres, the quite literally homicidally insane preteen trying to take over the world. I am not trying to take over the world. Nor am I homicidal, though I may be insane. The universe has not bent to MY will, but it seems that somehow the cosmic scales are tipped in my favor. This may have to do with the fact that the guy holding those cosmic scales, who also created them and me, is also my commando supremo who I serve unconditionally. And so as a servant of God and something of a scholar of theology (thanks to my mother’s influence) I can recognize when God is using his divine omnipotence to make me extremely happy. Making me extremely happy may not be his only aim. Thought I’m sure that he’s glad that it’s a byproduct of his supremely awesome plan. Anyway, I could go on rambling about how great God is (which I just might do later) or I could tell you what he did that’s so great. Did if finally get a girlfriend? No, far from it. Have you read my last 2 blog posts? I’m thinking I may have to become a monk or a priest or some other permanently celibate servant of God. No, it’s not a girl. But what are the three main things I talk about on my blog. Besides my facial hair, my anti-patriotism, and how much I want a girlfriend. Well, it’s about video games, my love of writing, and my need of a job. And God, in his divine glory, has worked out the most amazing set of coincidences to combine all three things to make me very happy. Let me tell you the story in all it’s lengthy glory. That way you’ll understand how amazing it is.

A few days ago I got an E-mail with the subject line “MegaGame” and, my heart quickening in my chest I opened I first. I had hoped it would be someone from the MegaGame game shop here in Tallinn. Maybe offering a job. Maybe asking why I haven’t been coming to Yugioh tournaments lately. But apparently MegaGame doesn’t value it’s customers that much. What it really was was a quick message from the owner and president of www.megagame.com “The Ultimate Gaming Source” asking which MegaGame I was referring to in one of my September blog posts where I was talking about wanting a job here at MegaGame in Tallinn. Of course they gave that job to some bored looking chick. But because of the brevity of his E-mail and because my post had been one where I was whining for a job (which was why my E-mail and phone number were in the post) I answered that it was the game shop here in Tallinn I’d been referring to. But that if he was looking for employees I was extremely available to work for him and his ultimate game site. So after many E-mails shot back and forth I have gotten a job writing game reviews for www.megagame.com’s new game review section. Which hasn’t been set up yet. Because it didn’t have a reviewer a week ago. But now it does, me! Through the miracle that is my blog I was found and given a job. The pay isn’t amazing but I get to keep the game and I’m happy with things as they are.

Can you believe that? Through the coincidence of a company name…wait a minute. Allow me to make an interesting guess at God’s will on this one. On how he worked out this miracle through a string of “coincidences”. I’ve been playing Yugioh on and off for years. Why did I start playing? Because it was a fun thing to do with my friends. But then I moved to Estonia and didn’t play it for a year. Then through some of my friends it was revived and I played again in Tartu. Then I moved to Tallinn and again for a year I didn’t play. I waited, after the theft of my cards I prayed for God’s guidance. Is a children’s card game what God wants me spending my money, and more importantly, time on? I prayed that if I found a certain deck then I would know it was God’s will for me to play. Across 2 continents I never found it until God’s timing was just right. Which started me off thinking about a job at MegaGame here in Tallinn. Which made me blog about it, which made the president of www.megagame.com contact me which got me this job and…how will he continue this? As with playing Yugioh for 6 years, maybe I won’t see how it ties into God’s plans right away. But I’m sure in some miraculous way it will. I do not deign to guess.

But anyway, I still haven’t come right out and said why I’m so ecstatic about this. Well it combines my two loves. No, not girl avoidance and nerdiness! Video games and writing! I’m going to get paid to play games and write about them. Getting paid for doing what comes naturally. Wonderful. Not everyone is happy though. My parents would rather I write for www.armybarmy.com’s JAC (Journal of Aggressive Christianity), and have been training me to be the next Billy Graham. But I’m headed more towards the next Bill Gates. As long as it’s a BG…but I’ve never understood why I can’t integrate video games and serving God? I always have, and will continue to. But my friends are excited. And so am I. I can’t wait to do my first review. Whenever I write a review I’ll put a link to it on my blog so you can read my thoughts on video games. Or if you hate video games then don’t click the link. But now I’m tired, and must sleep. Good night!

2 comments:

Kapten Clark said...

Don't forget the most precious "BG" -- Benjamin Groff! (He was born on 15 Jan.!) :-)

lux said...

cool, congrats on the job..