Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

That's today! Today is the day when we remember a great guy who fought for social reform and racial equality by, well, not fighting! And so today I read all of John Howard Griffin's "Black Like Me", a great book. I have always been very anti-racist (see my posts about FaceBook being schoolist) and respect these guys a lot. I don't have a lot of great deep stuff to say, but I do want to qoute something from the book. John Griffin was staying at a Trappist monastery and had this conversation with a monk.

"Do Negroes often come here as guests, to spend a few days, Father?" I asked.
"Oh yes," He said. "Though I don't suppose many reall know about this place."
"This is the Deep South," I said. "When you have Negro guests, do you have any trouble with your white guests?"
"No...no...the type of white man who would come to the Trappists-well, he comes here to be in an atmosphere of dedication to God. Such a man would hardly keep one on God and the other on the color of his neighbor's skin."

I don't know about you, but I think that just about sums it up. We need to have our eyes on God, and if we're focusing on him, skin color, which doesn't matter anyway, won't even be noticed.

No comments: