Monday, March 03, 2008

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

Lame pick up lines aside (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I want to be holding you) beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. I may behold something and have my breath taken away, whereas that which robs you of air causes me no emotion whatsoever. And I was thinking about this today, and thinking not just about beauty, but more about the way we view things. What prompted this? Well, not some deep thoughts really. What prompted my thinking about beauty and the way we view the world was a conversation I had on MSN on Friday. And it was an extremely funny conversation, and I wanted to blog about it. But I wanted there to be more of a point to this post than me saying “ME FUNNY!” so I came up with this. And also I think by the end of this post I might say something really interesting and profound, or maybe not. I don’t know yet, let’s find out!

Anyway, you want to hear about my funny conversation? Good, because I want to tell you about it. On Friday I saw Anneli was on MySpace so I sent her a message saying hi and went back to listening to music. Then she said she wanted to introduce me to her friend Tasha on MSN. So I got on MSN and we did a three way conversation, Anneli, Tasha and I. Now you would think Anneli would tell Tasha what a weirdo I am before the conversation started, but I guess she decided to wait because she knew I would add some funny input as I always do. So this is how she introduced me. I’ll paraphrase because I don’t normally save copies of MSN conversations.

“Hey Tasha. This is Chris, he’s one of my good friends. He’s really fun.”

Okay, so far so good, right? Well she wasn’t done. After I’d said hi Anneli went on…

“He’s great, he never thinks about sex and he’s never horny. And he’s never perverted unless it’s a joke.”

Right about now I was saying, “excuse me?” but as an afterthought she just had to add…

“Actually, it’s almost like there’s something wrong with him. He’s a guy but he never thinks about sex, is horny or perverted…hmm, Chris what’s wrong with you! ;-)”

Now of course this left me trapped, because if I contradicted her I’d make myself look very bad, and also misrepresent myself, because that really is an accurate description of me. So I said I was trapped, and just agreed that I am a very odd dude. But both girls enjoyed watching me squirm and laughed at me quite a bit. It was quite funny, and we had many more laughs before the end of the conversation.

Now some of you (guys) may be thinking, “What, you let those girls insult your manliness? You wimp!” but, I hope you girls agree with me in saying, “What’s the problem with that! Those weren’t insults, those were some of the highest compliments Anneli could give you!” Even though it was a rather awkward way to be introduced I was actually extremely flattered. It showed that finally someone noticed the ways I try to be different. And it also shows what I’ve always said, self-control always pays off. But that’s not the main point of my post. What I was thinking about was the way things are viewed. First of all, different girls could view my behavior in different ways. Thank God all the girls I know appreciate my respect and treating them the same as any guy. But I think some girls might take offence or really think there’s something wrong with me. Anneli was joking of course, knowing that saying that would prompt me to make a joke about how attractive some guy has been looking lately. But it’s funny the way the same thing can be viewed different ways. Some girls might think, “what a nice guy Chris is, he always keeps his eyes on my face” while other girls may think, “why won’t he ever look at me? Does he think I’m ugly? I’m wearing my special cleavage shirt and that normally makes all the guys stare” while other girls might think, “look at him, he never touches girls or looks at their bodies. I bet he’s gay!” Now, I just realized that I’m making myself look really good. Just so everyone doesn’t think I’m getting a big head, let me say this. I’m human, and I know it. No guy is perfect, especially not me. But still, you can’t argue with the girl who’s known me all my teenage life.

So I don’t quite know what my point was. I’d had a vague idea about how beauty is in the eye of the beholder which would make a great post, but I can’t really get a real concrete idea. So I guess this post will have to do, even though it sounds more like bragging than deep thinking. Until next time, Cya!

Chris, the never thinking about sex, never horny, never perverted eunuch. I mean, wait a minute, that’s not right!

Just had to throw in that last joke, but now I’m going…Cya!








Really, I’m going now.










No, really, just go.









Goodbye………

No comments: