Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March… (I’m back from Finland! Thank God)

Well, today is the ides of March, the day when it is most likely that your paranoid belief that all your best friends are just dying to stab you to death just might be true, especially if one of your friends is named Brutus and speaks Latin. So I’m bewaring the ides of March by staying home all day unless something more interesting comes up. Why would I waste a Saturday inside that I could spend with friends or out enjoying nature? Well, two reasons, one for each. I don’t exactly know where I stand with some of my friends at the moment and won’t find out until tomorrow, and as for why I don’t enjoy the world, when I look out my window I see snow…well, now it’s turned into a nasty drizzly rain. And since my bike isn’t accessible this time of the year I have nothing interesting to do outside. So I’m hoping to catch up on my E-mail, maybe play some N64, (which, by the way, didn’t get stolen. Take that Majora’s Curse!) and just have some RNR. Why do I need RNR? Well, because blogger was freaking out and wouldn’t let me post the post about how I was going to Finland none of you know why I need RNR. Allow me to enlighten you…

After rushing out of church on Sunday, we grabbed our bags and jumped on the ferry over to Finland. Land of “Tasty Finnish food” (which means food that is tasty if you’re an old Finnish lady with dead taste buds, and not quite so tasty if you’re not) and cool Finnish music! So I stuffed my MP3 player full of Bomfunk MC, The Rasmus and most importantly, NightWish! And, as always, listening to music in the land of it’s conception really adds to it. I don’t know how or why, but listening to NightWish’s, “Ghost Love Score” in Estonia is amazing. But listening to it in Finland…I am soaring above a snow covered pine forest …soaring with the ghosts of my past…that’s another interesting thing about visiting Finland, I’ve spent so much time there that the whole country it filled with my memories. It really is like the ghosts of my past. We stayed in central house in Helsinki, where I used to stay with mission team. I have so many memories…This is where I sat and played Yu-Gi-Oh with Anneli…This is where Miika and I argued about which girls liked who…This is where Anton and I made the infamous agreement about our favorite twins. Anneli was mine, Evelin his. I still uphold that agreement by the way, and as far as I know he hasn’t made any move on Anneli yet. I have so many memories. Played at that play ground, slept here, ate there. That’s where Mrs. Wittenburg got a head covered in bird droppings during an open air. I miss mission team a lot. I miss the community. It really is very sad to think how most of the old mission team members have gone our separate ways. Ocean of memories…

But anyway, my memories are not what I meant to blog about. I want to blog about what I did all week and why I was in Finland. Well, it was officer’s councils, that time when officers get together and do fellowship type stuff. It’s actually really good. But when officer’s hang out, kids can be in the way. So someone has to babysit. And who better to babysit an OB (Officer’s Brat, or Blessing, depending on the kid) than the biggest OB of them all, ME! So I was one of the babysitter’s. There were really only two babysitter’s from Estonia, and together we watched 10 kids. It was great, because all the kid’s already knew and loved me, and my fellow babysitter was Masha, an old mission team buddy. So I spent the week getting beat up by little kids, and now I’m tired. But I always enjoy babysitting. Because I love the kids and it gives me a chance to be a kid again too. And it was a really good thing I got to be a babysitter this time because I got to spend time with the Burunov kids from Narva. I always feel that other OBs are my brothers and sisters, and so the 5 Henderson kids have always been my little brothers and sisters. But the Burunov kids are only just becoming OBs because their father is a Cadet and married an Officer. So I got to spend some time with them and now I feel like they are my brothers and sister too. I don’t know what it is, but there are certain circumstances where people bond very easily. If 2 people are MKs (Missionary Kids), OBs, or something like that then they seem to bond much more quickly. So I was glad for the chance to welcome them to the OB family. I just pray they’re blessings rather than brats like me!

Another great thing is that I got to hang out with some of the officers, mostly the Brazilians. Why are there Brazilian officers in Finland? Only God truly knows. I never really learned any last names or else I would go by the proper rank, but I don’t really remember first names that well either, so I’ll just say the descendants of Majors Franke. It turns out they all love board games, so Kirill (one of the new Burunov OBs) and I played tons of games with them. And despite the fact that we had never played any of them before we did pretty good. I did best though. I have a certain gift for games. If only I was also skilled at school and sports…But anyway, I had lots of fun. We played Puerto Rico, (very fun, want to get a copy in English) No Thanks, (Very easy to make, will probably make it myself) and Modern Art (Interesting art auction game). It was great.

Anyway, I just sent off an SMS to Anneli and Evelin so maybe I will go out today after all, and just pray they leave their pointy things at home. By the way, if you don’t get the whole “Beware the Ides of March” thing than I’m sorry. It’s just another way in which my blog separates the cultured from the cretins, while keeping me with a foot in both camps! So now I must go. A shower would be nice. So Cya!

No comments: