Saturday, March 08, 2008

English Camp is…Bananas?

Well, it’s been a long time since I last went to English Camp. So long in fact that I don’t know if any of you know what it is. So I will tell you all about it and also place a link at the bottom of this post to the EC website. English Camp is a camp that happens twice a year and is put on by the “Going Up” youth church and the Baptist church down in Tartu. It’s loads of fun and, as you may have guessed, it’s all in English! Americans come over and the whole point is to practice your English and also we talk about Jesus. So it’s completely win-win. But why do I go? I already spekken goodish Englise. And I already know and love Jesus. Well, I go because I enjoy it. It’s fun. And also, I get to be swamped in English. Something I’m desperate for. It can get very tiring being constantly surrounded by Estonian all the time. And even though the majority of people at this camp will be Estonians, the language we will all speak is English. And I love speaking my native language. And also it’s a place for me to share my faith and meet new Christian friends. So it’s like win-win times several for me. And also my friend Liis Üprus will be there, who I first met at English Camp with my infamous pick up line, “Are you a mean girl?” that I asked during the movie, “Mean girls” She just couldn’t get rid of me after that.

But why I am mentioning EC all of a sudden? I forgot to mention. I just registered, and will be going from 17-20 March. Meaning that the post I was planning to write on March 19th I will have to write ahead and set to post itself later. And also, one of the other reasons I wanted to blog about this is that the other day I blogged saying I had a choice to make where I felt I would lose either way. Well, I made the choice. I am going to English Camp. And though going to EC is sure to bring up memories I would rather have shot, stabbed with pointy little knives, covered in oil, then burned before being thrown into the darkest depths of nothingness. Because of course there’s a reason why I haven’t gone in 2 years. But I will deal with whatever comes my way. I always do and always will. And also, if by worrying that your past will screw up your future you make the present miserable, then you’re just stupid. And though I am often stupid like that, I decided to not be, at least for a little while. And the other reason I wanted to write this post is because I can think of at least 2 blog readers who I would love to go to English Camp too. Because, even with everyone speaking English, it’s still nice to have some friendly faces around. So, if you’re interested check out the link I will be putting at the bottom of this post, and then register, and then don’t tell me, but surprise me when I’m like, “Hey, what the heck are you doing here?” and then you’ll be all like, “Dude, I’m totally stalking you because your blog is so awesome.” Naw, I’m joking. But still, I would love it if some more people I knew came.

So anyway, pray for me while I’m at English Camp. Because I’m nervous. And this timid little part of me is saying, “No, Chris! Don’t go! Scary new places and scary new people are scary!” but I’m leaving home in August so it’s about time I get myself used to scary new places and people. But anyway, I have work to do now. And I should probably shower too. And shave…and many other things too. So, click the link below, and if you’re interested then you should totally come and spekish Ingli wit moi. Because I need the practice…

http://www.goingup.ee/englishcamp/English%20Camp.html
Click the link, go to English Camp.

No comments: