Friday, January 27, 2012

Driving Me Crazy

Hi, I'm a 22 year old man without my driver's license. I know, I know. Shocking, right? What kind of man am I, what kind of human even, to not have gone through the essential rite of passage like the rest of the world? That seems to be the attitude in America at least. Throughout high-school I lived in Estonia so I couldn't really get an American license and it would have been a huge pain to get an Estonian one. For the first two years of college my parents still lived in Estonia so, despite being in America, what state would I get my license in? Plus, Houghton is in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I can just hitch a ride to the local DMV. But now I am months away from graduation and marriage and, unfortunately in my eyes, I must get my license. Jenny, my fiance, doesn't have her license either and one of us has to do the driving to get to the honeymoon.

All that to say I got my permit and I've been practicing. Ideally I'll be getting my license in April so I need to get used to driving now. It's not that I don't know how to drive, I just need the hours to make it second nature. The biggest problem facing me right now is that driving terrifies me. My heart races the second I go over 45 MPH or I see the headlights of another car coming towards me. I know that I am most likely pretty safe. I mean, I am a very cautious driver, and I assume the other drivers on the road don't want to die either. I just can't drive without a huge adrenaline rush. Yes, it's a thrill. I do enjoy the adrenaline rush. But it's also scary.

I think there's a reason why it's a good idea for people to get their license when they're 16. When you're a teenager you're rash and stupid and believe you're invincible. When you're 16 you're unafraid. Now I am 22 and I have a fiance and a lot of future to live for. Ugh. I guess I'm just a scared old man now. Oh well.

I would apologize again for not blogging consistently but I know if I do that every time I don't blog consistently I'll probably have a long, annoying apology every post. That said, sorry. I just blogged.

No comments: