Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Badass Memoir? If You've Got to Write, Write Cocky

 
And that is how you make your own pretentious book cover! I actually turned that in as the cover of a 40 page memoir piece that I wrote for my Extended Narrative class last spring. That piece was surprisingly received quite well and, more importantly than that, was one of the most exhilarating and enjoyable writing experiences of my life. I mean, come on. I'm writing about the most interesting person I know--Me!

Not only did I write that memoir piece along with this very precocious cover but I also got my start as a writer right here on my Blog. Clearly I just love writing about myself. It's where I have the most experience, the most material, and what interests me most. I guess the reason I most enjoy writing about myself is that I don't understand myself at all. I am the most interesting character to write about merely because I would like to get to know that character.

Due to this insatiable desire to write my own story I have set out upon an ambitious senior writing workshop project: a 200 page memoir that, in my loftiest dreams, I could begin the process of attempting to publish straight out of college. Now, 200 pages may sound a little excessive for one course in one undergraduate semester but, well, I've always cocky. Why stop now? Plus, I mapped it all out. I already have 40 pages (though they are in need of loving revision) and I just need to write 40 pages every 3 weeks and I'll have it done 2 weeks before the end of the semester, the last 2 weeks of which will be spent on revision and polish and saying "OH MY GOD I JUST WROTE A LOT!"

The thing I like about the senior writing workshop is that we're not really being taught anything. Basically we're being told, "we spent 3 and half years teaching you to write--now do it!" We barely talked all of the two hour class today, but I did write 4 pages!This is what I needed. Just a chance to write my own thing. I'm really excited about my results. Just think, you, my loyal reader (I'm sure someone is there, otherwise who am I talking to? Myself?) could someday say you were reading the writings of the famous Chris Clark before he was even famous!

No comments: