Monday, September 24, 2007

So much to blog about...so little time...

Not really. I have all the time in the world. And I just found out that since I didn’t save the things I wanted to blog about when my phone turned itself off I lost what I was going to blog about. But I will blog about what I remember. Like what happened today. Today I had a rest day. No babysitting, minimal amount of schoolwork, a trip into old town, and to top it off, a movie. It’s been good. Today we went into old town and went up to the tower of Oleviste Church. Now that might sound boring, but sitting 60 meters in the air with a rather flimsy looking metal handrail all that’s protecting you, with creaking wooden boards under you feet is not nothing. And even if it were, the walk up those stairs is something. If I did that every day I’d be mucho muscle man. But even if the walk had been nothing, the view is definitely something not only special, but spectacular. If I could see the same view from much closer to the ground I’d like it better. But I enjoyed it all the same. While we were there the guard at the top asked me to bring his Eesti Päevaleht (Estonian daily paper) down to the lady 60 meters below who checked tickets. I gladly complied, and as I brought the paper down I looked at the front and saw that they had an article about NightWish! And since I recently was deprived of seeing NightWish in concert I went instead to Apollo bookstore and read the article in the paper. The guy was kind of critical of their new singer, but I don’t know how good she is. I didn’t go to the concert. But she’s Swedish, and that can’t be good! ;-) The worst thing you can do is put a Finn and a Swede together. I’m joking of course. But then we rented “Night at the Museum” and had fun watching how Akmenrah played duel monsters with giant golden tablets. Actually I think if they combined the plots of Yugioh and Night at the Museum then both stories would make a lot more sense!

Anyway, that was today. I had something else I wanted to blog about that happened a little while ago. I was on my way to the corps for some program or other and so I got on a tram and turned on my MP3 player for a nice enjoyable trip. I really do enjoy those trips. Just 10 minutes to listen to music completely undisturbed by anything other than the nice view is great. Only this day I did get disturbed. As the tram pulled in to Hobujaama and stopped a bunch of people got on, and last of all a small old lady started hobbling her way into the tram. She had one leg in and one leg lifting up when the tram driver decided it was time to go and shut the door, right on her leg. For a split second, as I realized what had happened I almost panicked. A bunch of words shot though my mind. Words like “Old lady!” “Leg!” “Stuck!” “SHE”S GONNA FALL OUT OF THE TRAM!!” So after my split second of panicked word shooting I jumped forward and stuck yanked the door open. Or tried to. But I needed someone to get the other side of the door. Thank God there was a boy there who seemed to have had a slightly longer split second than I did, but once he got over it he was on her other side, yanking open the door while I held onto her with my other hand so she didn’t fall out. She made it in safely, the whole tram stared, me and my partner in door saving rescues nodded at each other, and when the old lady finally made it up the stairs she turned to the two of us, looked us in the eye, and quite firmly said “Speseba” or thank you, in Russian. I’m glad I was able to help her that day. It was quite exciting holding the door of a moving tram open with one hand while holding an old lady in the other and also praying my heart out that we didn’t both fall out. Now this whole story didn’t take much more than 30 seconds. Less than one tram stop to the next. But it was great. I’m glad my music got disturbed that day.

Anyway, I just remembered one other thing I’d meant to blog about. Got milk? Probably do. Got FaceBook? If you don’t, get it. Because if you do then you can send me free SMSes (Texts) from anywhere in the world. Just go to my account and type in up to 100 characters on the little box near the top that says “Free SMS”. That way you can bug me anytime. And say things like “I love you Chris” or “You rock Chris” or “Please let me give you loads of money to waste on junk Chris” all are perfectly acceptable. So anyway, get a FaceBook, add this application, then SMS me!! But be careful when. Somebody decided to test it for me last night at 5 A.M. not purposely I assume, but still, be careful what time it is in Estonia when you send it. And I don’t think I’ve ever written about this, but whenever my phone rings at night I seem to think it’s a bomb whenever I’m deeply asleep. Like when I was in Rome and the wind blew a door shut and I thought the Russians were bombing…don’t ask why the Russians, just know that if my phone rings after midnight I will assume the Russians are trying to kill me (again). So now I must go to sleep, please do not bomb me, I like my sleep to be bombless. Thank you, and goodnight!

No comments: