Monday, August 13, 2007

Music camp rocks!


Who are these shocking good looking rockstars? And what's with the hair? And those dollar store glasses!? Whats up? Are these up and coming rockstars posing for their new album's cover art? No, this is me (left) and Ilya (right) after Elis gave us rock star hairdos. I have to give credit to Elis for being the coolest hair stylist this side of Mars. She did a great job on my hair twice last week. After ten minutes with her Anneli said this to me. "Wow Chris, you look good with your hair spiked! You even look hot!" Then as i walked downstairs girls drooled in the hallways. Not really, but Anneli really did call me hot. Though she spelled it out ("You look H.O.T.!") as if saying that i'm hot was some kind of shocking statement, which believe it or not it was. Anyway, i had a lot of fun at camp. I learned to play Guitar and started playing Baritone too. Now i say i learned to play Guitar but only started Baritone because i felt that i progressed in leaps and jumps in Guitar but learned nothing but the C scale in Baritone.
~-~
Let me tell you about the best day in camp and why it was the best. I believe it was Tuesday night when i turned on my MP3 player and started rocking out to Green Day's "Wake me up when September ends" and then something hit me. Could i possibly learn to play this on Guitar? So i walked up to my friend, the guitar master, the wielder of the coolest guitar in our corps, Eero. And i asked him if he knew how to play this song, he replied he did, and would be happy to teach me on wednesday (because it was almost bedtime) so i walked back to bed, turned on my MP3 player and startted rocking out again, listening with a new meaning to Green Day. Next morning the sun shone down brightly on what would become, for me anyway, the best day of camp. The day went by normally until 7 pm, guitar class. Me and Eero went up to the room to await our Guitar Guru, Sergei, who would be working with both of us, despite me being a begginer and Eero being a rockstar. While we waited eero showed me how to play the begining of "Wake me up" and when Sergei walked in on us playing he made a decision. We should practice that song until our fingers bled and then play it for the talent night on thursday (the next day) so we rocked, and we rolled, and i still couldn't master more than the first two chords. So we all went our seperate ways for until bed a few hours later.
~-~
After brushing my teeth and flirting with every single girl i walked past in the crowded hallway full of girls i walked into the boys room to find Tanel and Eero starting a debate about dating. Now as of a little less than a year ago this subject of debate has taken on a new importance to me, so i braced myself and charged into the fray, wonderfully standing my ground (and possibly even gaining some) in this excellent exchange of views. It was a good debate, no name calling, no anger, just an exchanging and explaining of views, just what a debate should. I went to bed, listening to Green day again, feeling quite satisfied about the day. I had played Green Day. I had had a good debate with friends. I was content. It was the best day of camp. Closely followed by talent night the next night. Or maybe they were equal, i'm not sure. Anyway, because i still hadn't mastered Green Day, Sergei, Eero, and i decided to do a Guitar Trio of "Open the eyes of my heart" instead because i did know that song. Then a miracle happened. The guitar i was going to use to play the song was out of tune. Badly out of tune, and nobody knew why. So, because we were sitting there without time to retune it Sergei made another quick decision. "Just take my Guitar" he said, handing me his beautiful Stratocaster Electric Guitar. I had only played electric a few times, and never plugged in. And i had no idea how i would sound. We started the song, it rocked, we rocked, i rocked. I got almost every note right. I don't think i'll ever forget the thrill of that night. The clapping, the cheering, Anneli and Evelin screaming for an encoreI think that that was the first time in my life that i have stood up in front of other people to do anything and done it so well. It was amazing. The adrenaline going through me all night...i thought i could fly. I wish i could bottle that victorious feeling of success over fear and failure. It would sell better than the hottest hot cake.
~-~
Anyway. that night i got a new ambition. I used to be saving money for X-box stuff. I wanted to go and outfit myself with enough X-box stuff to keep my gaming 'til the day i die, and after if i can pull it off. But now i have a new true love. I love X-box. I truly did. But i love Guitar now. And i already have an acoustic. And i think i'll do most of my learning on an acoustic. But as one website i was looking at says "Playing electric guitar is the most fun you can have with your clothes on" and therefore my truest love is electric guitar. They rock. And i saw one for only 1900 Krooni, which is a much lower price that i was scared i'd have to pay. But i need to do some research, because if something seems to good to be true (or a price too low) than it probably is. So now the truth is out. I'll be a rockstar someday. I like to think i'll be part the next Skillet or something. Speaking of Skillet, at camp i found out my Guitar tecaher, Sergei, is a fellow Skillet fan, so i came home and and loaded my MP3 player with my "Alien Youth" and "Collide" Albums. And i've been rocking out ever since. And i'm glad i've started listening to Skillet again. Because i'd stopped listening to Christian music much because it just seemed too quiet and peaceful and all that. But as i've been listening to Skillet i've realized something. KoRn, Limp Bizkit, NightWish, and even Linkin Park seem tame (if not lame) next to Skillet. I love Skillet!
~-~
Anyway, one last anecdote from camp before i let my sister on to make an email account. On friday night it was hot, and when i say hot i mean HOTT!!!. So all us guys had our shirts off. And also we were trying on shirts for the concert the next day. So as we walked around shirtless we came up with an idea. We should all walk into the girls room, flexing our muscles and saying things like "Hey ladies, Need any jars opened or anything? Me big muscle man! GRRR!!!" But we gave that idea up and instead just walked around our own room pretending it was the girls room and laughing at each other. It was quite fun. Anyway, i need to go now. But just remember, if need any jars opened, let me and my muscle men know...

No comments: