Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Decisions, decisions...

Life is full of choices, and choices are irritating and difficult. Tomorrow is Wednesday, normally a free night for me. A night to chill, a night to rest, a night to not go to the corps, a night to do whatever I want. But as I’ve already said, Christmas parties are trying to ruin my Christmas. Tomorrow night is some annoying Tallinn Salvation Army employees Christmas party, and since my parent’s are employees here in Tallinn they have the privilege to get to go to this party. And as their child I have the privilege to either stay home and babysit my three year old brother and cook supper or go to the party and force a smile as I shake hands with everyone and to force down over cooked food and have conversations in broken Estonian. See what I’m talking about? Such hard decisions. And neither of these is what I’d LIKE to be doing. I never did get around to blogging about what I know causes groans from loads of people who think that the fact that I still do blog about this proves my immaturity and that I should be locked in a cage until I’m 42. The thing I’m talking about of course is Yugioh. I’ve been playing (more like dominating) Yugioh since I was 12, and I’ve never gotten tired of endlessly reworking my strategies and facing new opponents. Some may think it’s immature of me to love a children’s card game but may I remind you that many men love playing poker. And I know some of you spend HOURS on solitaire on your computer. Or at least that computer repair guy the street does. Every time I walk past that's all he's doing! So you guys go bet big money on your “adult” card game while I go enjoy mine. But anyway, I don’t know if you remember my search for the perfect deck? In an attempt to discern God’s will I prayed for months that if it was his will for me to go to the MegaGame store in downtown Tallinn and play Yugioh and enjoy myself while making friends and inviting the to corps then that he would help me find and buy the “Zombie Madness” deck and use it to make myself all powerful. And if it was not his will then being omnipotent he would make it not be in any store I visited. So for a whole year I searched stores across two continents for this deck, and I never found it. They’d have every other Yugioh product ever made, but not what I needed. So I accepted it just must not be God’s will, and that I should just focus on studying and applying to college and everything. And as you know I got accepted and will be Houghton College next year. And on the same day I was accepted I also found the deck. I bought it a few days later and using the cards made myself the best deck I have ever owned. And so how does this story tie in with tomorrow? Yugioh tournaments here in Tallinn used to happen on Sunday morning when I was at church. So after returning to Estonia with my new deck I checked the MegaGame website (www.megagame.ee) and found that apparently Yugioh tournaments have been changed to…Wednesdays. And I didn’t make it to last week’s tournament because I hadn’t checked the site yet so that means that tomorrow at 17:00 (5 pm) will be my first chance to go dominate the Estonian dueling scene. But this party is at 18:00 (6 pm), and so if I need to either babysit or be at this party then I won’t be able to go to this tournament.

It’s a hard life I lead. Such choices I face. So I’m hoping and praying that tomorrow everything will work out for the best, because going to this tournament would make me very happy. But if my parents need me to babysit then that is first priority. And if my brother and sister go to the party and if I don’t will I be insulting everyone? Well, what will be, will be. I’m resigned to my fate. I chose the life of a GOOD (emphasis) officer/missionary kid and I guess I’ll just have to live with the work and impositions on my social life that that choice makes. So I’ll let you know how everything goes tomorrow, but for now I’ve gotta go take a shower! Cya!

No comments: