Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Golden Compass. A story about killing God?

Because I'm always up to date with what's hip and in (yeah right) it has come to my attention that The Golden Compass, a movie with trailers that look like a cross between The Darkness is Rising and The Chronicles of Narnia, is causing quite a stir among Christians and Athiests everywhere. So now I'm going to blog about it. Because though I know very little about it I still would like to add my little bit of input. Correct me if I'm wrong but The Golden Compass is the story of a girl and her Daemon, (or demon, or familiar, or giant satanic pet, or what the movie says it is) the physical manifestation of her soul. The big bad in this story is simply "The church", a sinister group of misled religious enthusiasts serving a deranged, evil, weak old "God". And why "The Church" is so evil is because it has been trying to seperate the children from their "Daemons", their souls. And so she goes on some fantastic adventure including fighting polar bears and a golden compass that rather than pointing north tells what is truth. Very exciting. But some kind of freaky terminology. The honest truth is that the church is trying it's hardest to seperate everyone from their demons! Not their souls obviously. The reason why Pullman has the Church as the big bad is because he was raised by his pastor granddad. And as the son of two pastors I can say that one of the best ways to make an Athiest is to have him be raised by Christians. I'm not an Athiest. But I can see how easy it would be to become one. As a PK (or OB) you see the church from the inside out, not outside in like everyone else. And it's hard to see things like that. The church looks much better from the outside. Most things do. This movie does. From the outside it looks like another rather lame children's movie about a kid who saves the world. But as Pullman tells us, his books "are about killing God". Not a nice topic for a children's movie. And though "The Golden Compass" is book the book where God dies, it is the first in the series where he finally does kick the bucket. Though I just want to point out that in my opinion if anyone ever were to kill God the whole universe would collapse inwards upon itself and be destroyed, meaning there wouldn't be anyone left to enjoy Hell. Because of course Hell is total seperation from God, so that's what we'd get. Let's thank God that he is Omnipotent and therefore would be devilishly hard to kill.

Devilishly? That brings me to my next point. In one Christian article (http://www.dare2share.org/culturecommission/the-golden-compass) I read it said that in the books God is portrayed as "an old, weak, evil angel masquerading as 'The Authority' and setting up churches to exercise His control over others" and to me that sounds like a description of who...Hint, he is red, loves heat, has pointy horns and always carries a pitchfork. No not Triton! That's right, Satan. I think that the sentence works better like this: "Satan is an old, weak, evil angel masquerading as 'The Authority' and setting up churches to exercise his control over others". Dang, that sounds about right. I don't know that much about these books or the movie, because I only started caring about them a few hours ago. But to me this sounds like a story about fighting the devil. He's trying to seperate us, body from soul and soul from God. And so we have to fight back with the truth, the ultimate truth that we have through God's word, or as it is better known "The Bible". Now I know this isn't the story Pullman was trying to write, but from what I've heard of it it sure sounds like that! An angel masquerading as "The Authority" is exactly what we're up against.

Anyway, that's my thoughts so far on "The Golden Compass". I would love to do some more research though, because just because some Christians are going on a nutty witch hunt doesn't mean something's bad. Like Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter. That satanic practitioner of witch craft rocks. I'm joking, but I do like Harry. Anyway, these are my fairly uneducated thoughts about "The Golden Compass". If I've got it totally wrong please forgive me. Until next time, Cya!

No comments: