Thursday, January 07, 2016

The Best Laid Plans of Chris and Men

I love plans. Let me restate that: I have a desperate, pathological, obsessive need for plans. I'm at my happiest when I have split a day into 96 separate 15 minute segments planned out in fine detail. I'm not joking. I'm basically an OCD wreck version of Hannibal Smith from The A-Team (See video).


But sometimes a plan doesn't come together. Sometimes I have a great plan and everything changes. Sometimes I have nights like tonight.

If you've been keeping up with my adventures on the blog thus far you may remember that tonight I had planned to attend a competitive Magic: The Gathering event. I had planned to use this to fulfill one of my New Year's Resolutions. I had planned to see some of my gaming friends. I had planned to spend my evening relaxing and having fun. I had plans!

Can you guess what happened to my plans? They changed. You better believe I scowled so hard. Wednesday nights are normally our Young Adult Bible Study night, but we had been on a break due to the holidays. We were supposed to resume tonight, a fact that I had forgotten and really hoped everyone else had forgotten as well. Unfortunately for me, they had not. Normally I'd have considered blowing it off, but I provide transportation for 2 other people so if I don't go neither do they. Also, I guess prioritizing God stuff is a good thing. I guess.

Anyway, I took some time to mope and then made peace with the fact that my plans would have to change. I wouldn't get to compete in a cool event and write about it on my blog. I tried to focus on the silver lining. The upside of all this was that I would be able to spend a couple hours at home relaxing with my wife. I love my wife and I enjoy spending time with her. So, I adjusted my plans. I felt settled and okay. We went home, took off our coats, and started chatting. Then her phone rang.

My wife is the go-to person when someone needs help. As we were told through the course of events tonight, "I always call Jenny first because she gets it done!" Also, when I say need help I don't mean like moving a couch. I mean like locked out of your apartment with your infant with nowhere to go in the middle of winter in Maine. Jenny is basically a super hero. Unfortunately Super Plan Man, a.k.a. me, is her reluctant sidekick. I was grumpy to have my plans disrupted once again. On the other hand I do legitimately care about other people so I was willing pretty quickly to shift my night to accommodate saving the day. And yes, we did save the day.

After that we went to Bible Study and ate nachos. The nachos weren't quite as good as playing Magic but, hey, free nachos. After Bible study Jenny and I rushed home to listen to the Serial podcast while we cleaned the house to prepare for a friend of Jenny's who was coming to visit. While Jenny and her friend chatted in the living room I finally had a chance to look at what was left of my night and plan it my way. My plan went like this:

Phase 1: Finish Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Chapter 2
Phase 2: Blog
Phase 3: Go to sleep

Go play this game. Bioshock Infinite is a great game on it's own. Burial at Sea Chapter 2 was just mind blowing.

You may notice that I'm in phase 2 of my master plan at the moment. Phase 1 was a massive success. I finished Burial at Sea and loved it. Phase 2 is just about finished. I've blogged/rambled about my day and I'm just about ready to hit publish. Now I'm getting pretty excited about phase 3. This post had much less of a point than I normally like to have in my posts, but I think that might be okay. Anyway, check back tomorrow for more excellent fussy old man ramblings.

No comments: